Thursday, February 12, 2009

Truly Great Friends

Over the last several months I have been spending a lot of time thinking about friends - my friends, in particular.  I have truly been blessed in that area.  Recently I reconnected with my childhood best friend, Jen, who now lives in Florida.  It has been so nice to re-enter each other's lives after a long absence.  In fact, one of my best birthday presents this year was a long telephone call from her!

Also in the forefront of my thoughts lately have been my best friends from jr. high and high school.  These girls are truly amazing and I am so glad that we still continue on in our friendships!  Yesterday, as I sat with Hilary and Jennifer at Cheryl's mom's funeral, I thought back over the last few years with different trials that each of my friends have had to face - Jennifer's sick baby boy, Hunter and her subsequent health and adoption issues; Hilary and her car accident; the loss of Cheryl's dad last year (how I used to wish he were my own dad growing up!) and now her mother; Molly's motorcycle accident; Heather's son Quincy and their kidney surgeries, etc.  

As I sat there in the funeral, I realized several things:  1) even though I am not the greatest at keeping up with communications with my friends like I should, in the event that I ever need my friends or their support, whether in Arizona, Florida or across town, they will be there for me, no matter what; 2)  these are individuals, sisters really, who have helped shape who I am today.  I seek their examples in living and admire who they all are; 3) I truly love each of you, my friends!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jessica
I stumbled across your blog on LDS BLOGS. I thought you mighe be interested in a site my wife and I just built called MormonsMadeSimple.com, which uses simple, explanatory videos to explain the Mormon faith. Feel free to feature any of these videos on your blog, or just share them with non-member friends. We're hoping these videos will be missionary tools to help members share their beliefs. Anyway, sorry to spam your comments section. I couldn't find any contact information for you on your blog.

- Doug & Laurel

Jennifer Shurbet said...

Jess - I feel the same way about our friendships. You are all truly like sisters to me and it is comforting to have that network to rely on. Spending small moments of time together as adults is so fun. I enjoy reading your blog and learning some of your underestimated talents, like "whipping up a poodle skirt and dipping fondant-covered cherries in chocolate." You make it seem so easy and it's amazing. By the way I would love to try your coconut balls sometime! Take care! Love you, Jenn